Thursday, January 6, 2011

Untitled



There is something cumbersome about being surrounded by people and still feeling completely alone. It’s hard to adjust sometimes after leaving home after holidays, especially my last trip.

The thing about this particular trip was that my two best friends—I’d dare say soul mates-- were home. The three of us haven’t been together at the same time in years! It’s about as rare as the lunar eclipse that happened to align with the winter solstice over that same vacation--a little dramatic? Yes, but you get the idea.

After returning home I received this painting in the mail along with a beautiful collage of thoughts, drawing and lyrics. After staring at the painting and feeling inexplicably connected and moved by the ‘Girl with Curls,’ I read her letter.

“I had an uncanny attraction to this painting. I can’t really explain why, but I instantly thought of you.”

Not that it’s epic a friend was able to find a gift that another likes, but that the gift had nothing to do with liking. This painting in its’ simplicity and inarguable complexity says more than people are capable of. It’s very rare that people exchange gifts that aren’t out of pure obligation. Gift cards and cash, although fantastic, hardly signify a relationship or the nature of giving. I won’t dwell on this though.

Back to ‘Girl with Curls,’ I couldn’t help but wonder if she was looking at her future or saying goodbye to the past. I realize now that it doesn’t matter, because in my mind she will always be thriving in the present and I hope to do the same; keeping in mind that we are never as alone as it may seem.

1 comment:

  1. Your gift's timing is especially apropos – the Dali Museum's new building is now complete in St. Pete. Not sure if they have this one (it's been a couple of years since I've been), but well worth the road trip.

    ReplyDelete